- Cow's milk -
This cheese is a specialty of the Franche Comte region and is hand made in the style of the classic Mont D’or Vacherin.
Incredibly rich and unctuous, Fromager des Clarines is sold in its own wooden box and it is not unusual for this cheese to develop orange or blue mould patches on the surface. When it develops an orange rind and the surface appears to have a ripple through it, it is at its most flavoursome.
Baked Fromager des Clarines
Serves 4-6 Cooking: 30 minutes
- 1 Fromager des Clarines 250g
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, rosemary, or oregano
- Drizzle of honey
- Take cheese out of the fridge a few hours before, to bring to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 220
- Blanch the garlic for 2-3 minutes in boiling water, then slice.
- Remove plastic covering and leave cheese uncovered in the wooden box.
- Cut 3-4 small slits in the top of the cheese with a knife. Press garlic and herbs into the
- holes, and drizzle honey over.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, removing foil for the last 5 minutes to brown
- the top of the cheese.
- Scoop out with crusty bread. Enjoy!